Which is your favourite Tarot deck?

alejandrocerv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Which is your favourite Tarot deck?

Post by alejandrocerv »

Eremita wrote:
alejandrocerv wrote:^That's the one I have!
..................................Let's be friends. [grin]
Yes!
"To practice magic is to be a quack; to know magic is to be a sage." -Eliphas Lévi

"Paradox and contradiction are mysteries of the soul. The weird, the uncanny are sources of knowledge. To know the self. . . one must open the heart wide and search every part. This requires facing the unacceptable, the perverse, the strange, even the sick. Without this critical embrace of metaphysical complexity the soul cannot be understood." -bell hooks

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

I just got "Complete set of of TAROT CARDS with instructions"
Merrimack publishing.

It's super negative, I love it. Example:

10 of swords, internet search: "each new beginning must come from an end, and with every defeat are sown the seeds of future victory."

The comments in this deck:
10 of swords: Complete and utter failure, treason, being betrayed by someone you trust.

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Desecrated wrote:It's super negative, I love it. Example:

10 of swords: Complete and utter failure, treason, being betrayed by someone you trust.
Haha, brilliant. Laughed out loud. XD

It would be funny to give someone a complete reading along those lines.

"What do my cards say???"

"...Well, basically everyone hates you and you're going to die horribly."

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Eremita wrote: "...Well, basically everyone hates you and you're going to die horribly."
That would be a very accurate reading., Most people are more hated then loved and I can't think of any situation when dying isn't horrible :D

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I do have a new favorite for pre-made study decks. Got the Golden Dawn Temple Tarot a month and a half or so ago and love the detail that Nick Farrell and Henry Wendrich put into it. The pips are even done in sephiratic Golden Dawn color scale and like Crowley's include all of the astrological import and the 'Lord of' attributions. Definitely not a divining deck, these cards probably wouldn't survive that too long on their construction, but good for esoteric study, talismans, pathworking, etc.:

You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

RavenDarkWind
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RavenDarkWind »

My first deck was the Universal Tarot, which I lost. I now have the Golden Universal as my main deck, but I'm starting to like the Animal Wisdom Tarot a lot more. It feels like I'm cuckolding my deck [rofl].

I also want to get the BOTA deck.
Half-assed pun about the arcane.

malachite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by malachite »

RavenDarkWind wrote: I now have the Golden Universal as my main deck
Me too and I love it. Like the Dark angel tarot deck too, but not sure if I want to buy it.

Don't like the Alchemy Tarot. (Not complaining about Alchemy art by the way) Cards are way too small. I already knew that they just picked a few random Alechemy art prints and named them as what they could be, but I just don't like that. Somehow the cups, wands, swords and pentacles cards really don't fit either.

Master Baphomet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Master Baphomet »

I like the original A.E. Waite deck in the original colors as it was published by Rider from Pamela Coleman Smith's wonderful artwork:

I also like the IJJ Swiss tarot deck (though I dislike the plaid design on the back):

But what may well be one of my favorite tarot decks is the ancient Italian Serravalle-Sesia Tarot deck:

"If I beheld the sun when it shined, or the moon walking in brightness; and my heart hath been secretly enticed, or my mouth hath kissed my hand....I should deny that there is a God above.....neither have I suffered my mouth to sin."

Babydoll
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Babydoll »

I love my Tarot deck illustrated by Carl Jung. I love it more because my late grandmother gave it to me, and you can feel the energy in the deck. The illustrations are superb though.

One LIFE, one chance http://www.vampiretemple.com/

Urscumug
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Urscumug »

Desecrated wrote: It's super negative, I love it. (...) Most people are more hated then loved (...) dying is horrible
IMHO this illustrates the fact that one should rather choose a positive or neutral tarot that will have a better influence on one's mind. Your world-view is rather depressing. I'm a public person and with my political orientation (green) I'm pretty sure that some persons do not like me, or more precisely they do not like what I'm advocating, but I doubt there a people who really hate me. People usually ignore each other and most people have way more friends and family than enemies. If it is not your case, I suggest you do whatever magick that will help you see the world in a more positive way and trigger positive changes.

Olden Fire
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Olden Fire »

Je suis Français donc pardonnez moi mes fautes d'orthographe. Merci.

I consider myself a collector. I like all Tarot decks including the famous Rider deck. How can one not respect a classic?

But I have a soft spot for the Druid Craft Tarot deck.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

I just got the robin wood tarot deck and I didn't like it at all. Way to negative.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Desecrated wrote:I just got the robin wood tarot deck and I didn't like it at all. Way to negative.
Any particular reason why? I actually got the boxes of decks out of my closet last night - made six stacks of twenty decks with seventeen left over. If you then add the deck I use all the time and a borderless Deviant Moon that I have on display on my altar, I now have 139 tarot decks. I think I might have an addiction problem... [tongue]

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Clockwork_Ghost wrote:
Desecrated wrote:I just got the robin wood tarot deck and I didn't like it at all. Way to negative.
Any particular reason why? I actually got the boxes of decks out of my closet last night - made six stacks of twenty decks with seventeen left over. If you then add the deck I use all the time and a borderless Deviant Moon that I have on display on my altar, I now have 139 tarot decks. I think I might have an addiction problem... [tongue]
Wow!

If you ever run out of storage space, send me one. [rofl]

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Wow, some of these decks you guys posted are gorgeous. I love the Golden Dawn one especially.

I've used the Thoth for 15 years and I'm madly in love with it. I've tried other decks from time to time and nothing else worked as well. I know all the warnings about how heavy it is and how only Thelemites can really work with it, but my experience has been the complete opposite. It never fails to give me beautifully coherent and insightful readings, and I find the artwork triggers strong subconscious impressions which I can then easily bring into awareness. I only use it for divination though, never for magic.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

I have included three cards from the Deviant Moon tarot below.
deviant-moon1.jpg

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I now have 139 tarot decks. I think I might have an addiction problem... [tongue]
Wow.

Awesome.

I just noticed the Salvador Dali Deck when pootling around the web, I really like it :

I'd buy it, but it's quite expensive.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dali-universal/
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nahemah wrote: I just noticed the Salvador Dali Deck when pootling around the web, I really like it :

I'd buy it, but it's quite expensive.
[eek] $312 ?? [eek]

Yeah, that's a little bit out of my price range right now! [grin]

MAZOHIR
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MAZOHIR »

Bohemian Alchemist wrote:It really does depend. The artistry of the Thoth deck is excellent but think its correspondences conform only to a Thelemic paradigm which means that it can confuse the newcomer and be of less use to the experienced non-Thelemite. The traditionalist in me likes de Marseilles which aside from being free of later revisions to their correspondences, have a wonderfully rustic feel. By reading them the practitioner is partaking of the same system used throughout the European Tradition which adds a very powerful aspect to their use. I also quite like the Botticelli deck which works well with any system drawing on Hermetism and Neoplatonism.

I remember, in my early days of trying to make sense of "the occult" I had a pack of "goddess oracle cards" which had images of various goddesses with affirmations beneath. In readings they acted as symbols of forces. Although I look back at them now as being fluffy silliness they do still appeal to me. Perhaps because they remind me of a more naive version of myself.

Crowleys THOTH deck has got to be the best or one of the best TAROT DECKS, esoterically and artistically, BUT, I have to agree completely with what was written above. Crowley imbued EVERYTHING he wrote or did with THELEMIC doctrine saturated into it, after he "received" the BOOK OF THE LAW. For that reason and others (read his MAGICAL DIARIES), I do NOT use his deck. The WAITE deck is OK for beginners, but very two dimensional compared to other decks out there presently. I prefer certain of the PAPUS-OSWALD-WIRTH-LEVI influenced decks, and my very favorite is so powerful, artistically and occultly, it is even way beyond the Crowley deck. Sadly, it's in Black and White, but still beyond everything I have seen so far, except the deck that I currently use, by Christine Payne Towler, called THE TAROT OF THE HOLY LIGHT, and can be ordered online. It's very intense Alchemical Images, and NOT recommended for the beginner.

Dr Paul Foster Case, the BOTA and the FLO who use Dr Cases' TAROT teachings, are said by very many occultists to be the most advanced and complete teachings on Hermetic-Cabalistic-Tarot. BUT, the BOTA deck is almost a direct copy of Waites deck ( and ONLY in black and white), and Waite was in rebellion against MATHERS, and cut out all references to MAGIA in his schismatic offshoot group from the original HOGD, calling it the Stella Matutina.
Mind-Kontrol and Drugs are the LAW, drugs under CIA MK-ULTRA

MAZOHIR
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MAZOHIR »

Clockwork_Ghost wrote: I actually got the boxes of decks out of my closet last night - made six stacks of twenty decks with seventeen left over. If you then add the deck I use all the time and a borderless Deviant Moon that I have on display on my altar, I now have 139 tarot decks. I think I might have an addiction problem... [tongue]
Say WHAT?? You must be not only addicted, but quite rich to obtain a collection like that. Adam Mclean also has a very large collection, and shows a few cards online from each deck, with a short blurb about them attached, but most certainly doesn't collect them for "esoteric learning".

Do you have:
Egipcios-Kier-Tarot-Deck
ETTIELLA TAROT
GREEK Tarot-Deck-Pythagorean-Tarot
TAROT ESOTERICO
TAROT OF THE HOLY LIGHT
Tarot-siglo-XV-Oros
and, the most intense: TAROT ReVISIONed

I'd post some images, but don't know how to.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onced
MAZOHIR wrote: You must be not only addicted, but quite rich to obtain a collection like that. Adam Mclean also has a very large collection, and shows a few cards online from each deck, with a short blurb about them attached, but most certainly doesn't collect them for "esoteric learning".
I've ben collecting tarot cards for over twenty years, and I simply don't get rid of the ones I buy if I get another deck. I own some very rare decks, but most of these were either given to me by friends, or bought when they were more common. I'm a member of a specific tarot forum online, and am happy to discuss tarot here on this forum with anyone who is interested.
MAZOHIR wrote: Do you have:
Egipcios-Kier-Tarot-Deck
ETTIELLA TAROT
GREEK Tarot-Deck-Pythagorean-Tarot
TAROT ESOTERICO
TAROT OF THE HOLY LIGHT
Tarot-siglo-XV-Oros
and, the most intense: TAROT ReVISIONed
The majority of my decks are unopened and in boxes, in one of three cupboards. I really have no idea as to which specific decks I have. A lot of them are signed, and I bought them for the sole purpose of collecting them, not using them. I plan on cataloguing my collection one day, and will probably post details about the specific decks when I do. If you want, I'll go through the collection some time and check if I have the ones you've listed, but wont be able to do so for a couple of weeks.
MAZOHIR wrote: I'd post some images, but don't know how to.
Way down the bottom of the page, under the line that says Save / Preview / Submit is a button that says 'Upload attachment'. You use that button to upload a photo off your computers hard drive - first you 'Browse' for the picture, then 'Add the file'. Once the photo is hosted by the forum, you can put it anywhere on the page using the 'Place inline' button. I have done this below with my favourite athame. [thumbup]
Athame11.jpg

MAZOHIR
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MAZOHIR »

From the TAROT of the HOLY LIGHT:
2 swords.jpg

Vordana
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vordana »

My main deck is the Rider-Waite. But I also adore The Vampire & Spiral Tarot decks.

Neko-phyte
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Neko-phyte »

I have quite a love for the Thoth deck, but I also have a really nice Mucha Tarot deck (based on Rider-Waite-Smith deck, with artwork from and inspired by Alphonse Mucha), which I particularly love.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

I've previously had the mini Rider-Waite which I liked very much, and the Thoth deck which was a good size but it just didn't resonate with me. I've recently purchased the Radiant Rider-Waite (in a smart looking tin-box), which I believe is quite new. I'm really liking it and I think it's a big improvement on the original, the thick black lines around the images are gone. My only criticism is that it's still a bit small (6cm x 9.5cm), if they make a larger version I'll snap that up asap.

Selection from Radiant Rider-Waite

Return to “Divination and Mantic Arts”