Whatcha reading?

General conversation and mundane matters.

Serenitydawn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Whatcha reading?

Post by Serenitydawn »

There are posts about tv, movies, music. I mostly read. So what is everybody reading? I just finished this story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8602454/1/T ... m-the-Deep

It's based on the Sith philosophy. Takes the ideas of Sith and Jedi from Star Wars but there are no light sabers, droids, or any kind of machine. It's a pretty awesome story, and it's free. [thumbup]
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of disociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Stale1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Stale1 »

Recently finished reading Seidways: shaking, swaying and serpent mysteries and Visual Magick: A manual of freestyle shamanism by Jan Fries
All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense.

Robert Anton Wilson

SkyTemple
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SkyTemple »

Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman by John Matthews.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

I'm working my way through Jo Nesbo's books - sort of crime/thriller/action books, but written incredibly well. Harry Hole is such an awesome character - Norwegian police man with a serious attitude. I'd strongly recommend her books to anyone who wants a good read.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Just finishing off Perdurabo, the Crowley biography by Richard Kaczynski. It's quite a good read, gives an in depth examination of the man which manages to avoid both idealizing and demonizing him, instead just giving a detailed, factual account of his life. Well worth a read for anyone who wants to know more about the 20th century's most famous occultist, or just cut through the myths and the bullshit around him.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by isis.auset5 »

I've been reading the Book of Thoth, by Aleister Crowley, since the beginning of August (although I stopped about 10-12 days ago). In addition to that, I will also start reading (like tonight, or tomorrow) 'Fúria Divina' by José Rodrigues dos Santos. It's a portuguese book by a portuguese author about Al-Qaeda and Islam.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

I've just finished reading a book called 'War Surf' - it was fantastic. M M Buckner is a wonderful author and everyone should go read her books. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Serenitydawn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenitydawn »

Cool, good stuff everyone! I've just started grad school so now I'm reading mostly stuff about Leadership (since my major is Leadership and Professional advancement). It's actually pretty interesting. [cool]
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of disociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. ~ H.P. Lovecraft

DawningSun777

Post by DawningSun777 »

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

beero
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by beero »

jonathan strange & mr norrell by susanna clarke it's good a bit long though

Akairyuu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Akairyuu »

I'm currently reading The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien :)

NariusV
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by NariusV »

I'm currently reading Julius Evola's Yoga of Power, Simon's Neconomicon materials (all extant works), and Thomas Willhite's Path to Liberty. I will then be moving on to Peter Paddon's Enchantment, and Jason Miller's Financial Sorcery, and Franz Bardon's newly released Universal Master Key.

autodydact
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by autodydact »

Israel Regardie's Golden Dawn alongside about three other books I'm dipping in and out of (history of noise music, alchemy by Marie Louise Von Franz, a book about the voynich manuscript) I also acquired a copy of the codex seraphinianus recently which I've been pouring over of an evening... I'm a shameless bibliophile.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I recently read The Psychopath's Bible by Christopher Hyatt.

It left me vaguely disappointed and I found it rather long winded too.

Quite frankly,I've heard it all before and there was nothing in it that was new,interesting or intriguing presented at all.
I was also left bored to tears by the vitalist writing style. [crazy]

It was also somewhat cynically hypocritical ironically disingenous of the author to revile university education as a valid means of social/career advancement,when he himself clearly has profited from such and continues to append his qualifications thereof,after his name on this work and others. [thumbup] [lol]
Meh.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Solving Ennui
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solving Ennui »

Currently, "Kull, Exile of Atlantis", vaunted to be the first american sword and sorcery tale, also kind of stopped 2/3 through "The Lonely Polygamist", a tale about the trials and tribulations of having many wives, and literally dozens of mouths to feed.

shmatka
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by shmatka »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens
It is the coming of the End Times: the Apocalypse is near, and Final Judgment will soon descend upon the human species. This comes as a bit of bad news to the angel Aziraphale (who was the guardian of the Eastern Gate of Eden) and the demon Crowley (who, when he was originally named Crawly, was the serpent who tempted Eve to eat the apple), respectively the representatives of Heaven and Hell on Earth, as they have become used to living their cozy, comfortable lives and have, in a perverse way, taken a liking to humanity. As such, since they are good friends (despite ostensibly representing the polar opposites of Good and Evil), they decide to work together and keep an eye on the Antichrist, destined to be the son of a prominent American diplomat stationed in Britain, and thus ensure he grows up in a way that means he can never decide between Good and Evil, thereby postponing the end of the world.
Brilliant fiction about the end of the world.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

1) The Triadic Heart of Siva: Kaula Tantricism of Abhinavagupta in the Non-Dual Shaivism of Kashmir by Paul Eduardo Muller-Ortega
2) Abhinavagupta's Commentary on the Bhagavad Gita translated by Boris Marjanovic
3) Presidential Puppetry: Obama, Romney and their Masters by Andrew Kreig
4) The Trojan War: a New History by Barry Strauss

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

"The Intuitive Body: Aikido as a Clairsentient Practice" by Wendy Palmer. I find it to be quite a good read. It is about self-development. Reading it involves a bit of work and quite a bit of self reflection.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

On recommendation I just finished Zealot by Reza Aslan.
I'm also reading the Quran maybe five suras at a time.

On odd chance I found a really neat article with an interview from Dr. Kirby Surprise relating to his book Synchronicy:
http://www.superconsciousness.com/topic ... nd-beliefs

I just grabbed that on Kindle after reading the 1 and 2 star reviews and seeing I had no major problem with them :)
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Solving Ennui
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solving Ennui »

Gotta love the Quran, especially the account of solomon and the crystal palace that was removed from the bible.

Atzmuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atzmuth »

Freemasons: Inside The World's Oldest Society by H. Paul Jeffers. I really liked the book. Paul really describes the history of Freemasonry without any prejudice and smirch. Becouse most of the other books about freemasonry is written by illitrate authors and are full of misleading knowledge. Its a great book I really suggest it [yay] .
There is no Lucifer to folow, no God to obey
There is no Hell for punishment, no Heaven for reward
There are no Demons to fear, no Angels to listen
There is you and your fate
Wake up Alice
You are in Truthland.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Introduction to tooth tarot.

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Francis Fukuyama: Our posthuman future; Consequences of the biotechnology revolution

Great book, smart man [thumbup] he is dealing with political and social consequences of transhumanism and biotechnological endeavours of changing one's intelligence, sex, gender etc.

Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson - Prelude to Dune, House Atreides

These two are brutal. Such great and detailed world with political, technological and religios implications which drive the constant conflict between people of that world and great diverse characters and descriptions are sure to bring you very enjoyable time while reading it.

And at last:
Peter J. Carroll - Liber Null & Psychonaut

Tnx for suggestion :D

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Started reading Aurora by Jacob Boehme a few weeks ago. I used to rip through books but as busy as I've gotten with the new job it may take a few months. At 14% on kindle, looks good so far.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Stale1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stale1 »

Kali Kaula - A Manual of Tantric Magick by Jan Fries

Love his books
All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense.

Robert Anton Wilson

Return to “Off-Topic”