The Green Man

alejandrocerv
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Green Man

Post by alejandrocerv »

Can anybody tell me about their experiences with/knowledge about the Green Man?
"To practice magic is to be a quack; to know magic is to be a sage." -Eliphas Lévi

"Paradox and contradiction are mysteries of the soul. The weird, the uncanny are sources of knowledge. To know the self. . . one must open the heart wide and search every part. This requires facing the unacceptable, the perverse, the strange, even the sick. Without this critical embrace of metaphysical complexity the soul cannot be understood." -bell hooks

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Green Man

Post by Nahemah »

Ha,which Green man do you mean ...[greensmile] [greensmile] [greensmile] ?

..The Green Man motif has many variations. Found in many cultures from many ages around the world, the Green Man is often related to natural vegetative deities. It is primarily interpreted as a symbol of rebirth, representing the cycle of growth each spring. Some[1][2] speculate that the mythology of the Green Man developed independently in the traditions of separate ancient cultures and evolved into the wide variety of examples found throughout history....

...Parallels have been drawn between the Green Man and various deities such as the British Celtic Lud, also known as Nodens. Many see him as being connected to the Mesopotamian Tammuz who is thought to symbolize the triumph of Life over Winter and Death,[13] Osiris, Odin, and even Jesus, as well as later folkloric and literary characters such as the Holly King...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

Sorry,couldn't help it. [grin2]

He's rather primal and has worn many names.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

alejandrocerv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alejandrocerv »

Oh, absolutely! I am wondering about all of them. :P
"To practice magic is to be a quack; to know magic is to be a sage." -Eliphas Lévi

"Paradox and contradiction are mysteries of the soul. The weird, the uncanny are sources of knowledge. To know the self. . . one must open the heart wide and search every part. This requires facing the unacceptable, the perverse, the strange, even the sick. Without this critical embrace of metaphysical complexity the soul cannot be understood." -bell hooks

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

It's hard to say. I may have encountered him once, or it may have been some other forest entity, but it seemed a bit forboding, so I think it may have been him based on what I've bothered to read. In any event, I was not harmed and my encounter was very short. My overall hike was not greatly impacted. I can tell you one thing though. I felt him a few seconds (perhaps 15 or so) before actually coming up on him.

alejandrocerv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alejandrocerv »

manonthepath wrote:It's hard to say. I may have encountered him once, or it may have been some other forest entity, but it seemed a bit forboding, so I think it may have been him based on what I've bothered to read. In any event, I was not harmed and my encounter was very short. My overall hike was not greatly impacted. I can tell you one thing though. I felt him a few seconds (perhaps 15 or so) before actually coming up on him.
Thanks for that! Would you mind sharing some more about your experience?

Return to “Religous superstitions, Folk traditions and Lores”