General Characteristics of God's Holy Angels

Pulbas
Forum Member
Forum Member

General Characteristics of God's Holy Angels

Post by Pulbas »

Even without going outside of the reliable cannon of scripture, there is a lot of information in scripture that shows us that angels have the following characteristics. From my experience this will be written from the modern Christian point of view. I'm very interested in Ars Pauline at this time, but I suspect much of it to be tainted. And a little fly in the oinment spoils the whole lot. But the following I think that the pale of orthodox Christianity can agree on the basics of angels.

1. They are Holy - meaning without sin, pleasing to God, 100% obedient to Almighty God - Unable, not going to sin, their choice is fixed, they serve Him alone and no other.

2. They DO NOT ACCEPT WORSHIP! In fact any or most experiences throughout scripture show that when men mistakenly fell and worshiped the angels, they would quickly say DON'T DO THAT! GET UP! You scared? Here I'll help you up, but whatever you do please don't EVER try to worship me again. (paraphrase) But this incident also shows that at some point or to a point, they are FEARFUL OF MESSING UP! But it's well said that "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom". Thus we see that the Angels of the Lord are fearful of the Lord.
I don't see any scriptural precedent in Judeo-Scriptures where we are called to set up an Alter to anyone except the Almighty God. In fact, Solomon was severely punished for breaking this same law since he had alters set up all over the land that his wives drug him into. So in setting up an alter of any sort, I'd have to say that an alter is first and foremost dedicated to the Lord who is in fact a very jealous God. So if I am calling on a particular angel for help. If I set up a prayer closet, with any signs, symbols, or otherwise, I'm going to be first and foremost setting it before and dedicating it too the Almighty God our Creator. It's very clear we are not to worship the created, but the Creator.
In the trial of Joan of Arc - The interrogators continued to ask her about her interaction with the angels. They tried to get her to say that she was worshiping them instead of God. Or that men should worship her. She never in all of her answers never messed up. She was perfect in her ways. (Which of course won her the high badge of honor - Martyr)

3. They are NOT omnipotent - Scripture show that when Daniel was praying, that the Angel of the Lord was delayed by a "principality" that he was wrestling with

4. The same incident mentioned above shows that they are also not Omnipresent (anywhere and everywhere at the same time). They being a finite being. The angel delivering his message to Daniel, was "held up". So this indicates to me that there is a connection to the laws of space that they are not excused from. Meaning, to some extent they seem to be effected by at least TIME. Now space and gravity may be different, but at the very least I don't see where an angelic being can be 2 places at the same time. Further evidence of this seems to be that Angels seem to take time to accomplish a thing with exception of teaching or transfer of knowledge/wisdom.

5. They are not OmniPotent - The scriptures tell us that we are created a little lower than the angels. The power that angels seem to exhibit is pretty awesome, but they can't do anything and everything. They seem to be able to do whatsoever the Lord gives them ability to do and have no desire to do what is outside of their jurisdiction or purpose. Many of the things charged by occult to the power of angels seems to be actually under the jurisdiction of the Holy Spirit, Comforter, Councilor, Way Maker. The full personage of the God Head.

6. They are neither male nor female - So the sexually charged language and interactions attributed to them does not seem to jive with cannon. On the other hand, those angels who "Foresook their estate" and mated with the daughters of men (creating nephilim), were indeed sexually charged when they subjected themselves to become incarnated. This in turn enraged the Lord, who has put them in chains in darkness until they are loosed at the end when they will be allowed to tempt those on earth one final time in an attempt to rebel against the Lord. (I believe this happens at the end of what is known as the "Millenial reign of Christ")

7. The Intention/Position/Relation of God's Holy Angels to man - Cannon scripture seems to suggest that their goal is to help us find out God's Will and then execute that will on earth. So for those who are in pursuit of a pot-o-gold. They pursue in vain if the will of God isn't there for it to be so. Ice skating up hill. They seem to get us all that we NEED in order to accomplish HIS purpose. They are concerned with the reconcilement of man back unto his Holy estate. They are concerned with us being Holy, dedicated unto God. To that end I believe they have a priority list of assignments. Getting me a new car, falls really really low on that list unless it for some way or reason is going to be used towards God's greater glory.

Finally, That was Then this is Now - Most of the texts being used as point of reference are all Old Testament in origin. So does that mean we should start practicing all the laws of the Pentatuch as well? Should we then live under the law again? Do I need to go through these fantastic rituals to have the Peace of God? No not at all. Christ is more than sufficient in all these things.

There seems to be a body of experiential evidence that persists universally among us. That some of the laws and ceremony, seem to continue to have influence us post age of law into the age of grace. So in the end....what parts are A.D. and what parts are B.C.? I believe we should prayerfully consider it.

Acts 5:12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: General Characteristics of God's Holy Angels

Post by Ramscha »

1. They are Holy - meaning without sin, pleasing to God, 100% obedient to Almighty God - Unable, not going to sin, their choice is fixed, they serve Him alone and no other.
Are you sure about the part "being without sin"?
Isaiah 37 wrote:36 Then the angel of the LORD went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning--there were all the dead bodies!
10 commendments wrote:Thou shalt not kill
Well, breaking one of the commendments is as sin, one of the capital sins, to be clear. So they are tainted through their service, if not through the deed then through the one they serve, the one who is just and good I suppose. Unless of course we decide that the commendments just apply to humans, then of course they can take it easy [crazy]

Ramscha
bye bye

BrokenSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BrokenSeeker »

Ramscha wrote:
Are you sure about the part "being without sin"?
Isaiah 37 wrote:36 Then the angel of the LORD went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning--there were all the dead bodies!
10 commendments wrote:Thou shalt not kill
Well, breaking one of the commendments is as sin, one of the capital sins, to be clear. So they are tainted through their service, if not through the deed then through the one they serve, the one who is just and good I suppose. Unless of course we decide that the commendments just apply to humans, then of course they can take it easy [crazy]

Ramscha
I have a feeling your post was made partly in jest but just to clarify.

1. In the Christian tradition Sin is defined as the defiance of God.

2. The Ten Commandments were given to humans, not Angels. Angels receive their commandments through direct interaction with God.

3. The commandment isn't "Thou Shalt Not Kill". It's "Thou Shalt Not Murder". Murder is an unjustified killing.

4. The Angel of the Lord would not be seen as murdering the Assyrian soldiers. Even in the text it says he "put them to death" which carries the connotation of carrying out a sentence.

While those outside the Judeo-Christian faiths can take what view they wish of such events in the Bible, it's important to acknowledge that they do possess at least an internal logical consistency.

Personally I tend to be suspect of the Judeo-Christian "histories" and view them as myths. But it's important to actually understand the myths in order to get at the kernels of truth contained within.

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Very interesting thread coming up right around the equinox..

Has anyone else here worked with the angels of Shemhamphorash?
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Return to “Angelic Arts”