In Emergencies, Rituals & Everything: Cleansing & Banishment

When things don't go as planned, crises and unexpected situations.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

In Emergencies, Rituals & Everything: Cleansing & Banishment

Post by cyberdemon »

cyberdemon's In Emergencies, Rituals & Everything: Cleansing & Banishment
Before you begin to work on any occult practice, whether it be summoning or chakra-awakening, you must know how to protect yourself if something goes wrong. There are many variations in techniques of doing so, and in this thread I will tell you about two of them. The first is a "healing" technique, and the second is a "protective" technique.
A BASIC CLEANSING CEREMONY

What is required:
- Salt - pure "rock" salt is preferred, table salt works just as fine.
- Clean clothes, towels, bedding
- Access to a bath
What it is used for:
A cleansing ritual is used to reset all psychic influences over you, regardless of its source or its reason for having an influence on you.
For example, cleansing rituals are used in different forms to remove curses such as the Evil Eye. Cleansing rituals will also bring you back to 0 if you have attempted to invoke spirits or raise chakras, forcing you to start your work from the very beginning.
The main component of this ritual is salt, which is a natural purifier. Sodium chloride is an ionic substance that simply "de-magnetizes" you, in essence. This technique has been referenced in various occult essays and even in the Demonic Bible as a powerful yet simple thing to do.

What to do:
- Fill your bath with water of a comfortable temperature and dissolve a full cup of salt in it. Water on salt or salt in water isn't important, but you must dissolve it all. It's not necessary that the water tastes salty.
- Cleaning your living space is important, during which you may wish to perform a Banishment (see below). You must have clean clothes to wear and a clean bed with fresh sheets and pillows to rest in after your cleansing bath.
- The bath itself is simple - sink yourself completely in the water. Do not use soap, shampoo or any other products during this ritual. Under water, all you have to do is relax and freshen your mind. Meditating for a short period is a great idea. You should try to feel empowered, fresh and in a process of rebirth. An often used metaphor is to "rise from the water as if you are exiting the womb of Leviathan".
- To finish your ceremony, lift yourself out of the water, dry yourself using your clean towels, dress yourself cleanly and sleep in your fresh bed. Because many influences will remain lingering in an attempt to get you again after your ceremony, you must maintain your cleanliness for as long as possible.

Additional things to consider:
- Burning incense during a cleansing ceremony is a personal choice. If you think it will help you, one could recommend burning sandalwood as it is considered a very pure and strongly amiable scent.
- Any assistants you may have for your ceremony should also perform it with you. Keep it clean.
- Eating a small non-distracting meal between bath and bed is a good idea as it helps normalize the situation, but is not necessary.
- Candles and/or darkness is NOT recommended.
- Television and music in the background is NOT recommended.
- Mind altering substances such as alcohol, cannabis, psychedelics and/or stimulants (including caffeine) are NOT recommended and are MOST likely to mess up your ceremony.
A BASIC BANISHMENT

Before we progress, you must know what a "banishment" is. It is a different sort of cleansing ceremony, aimed at psychic influences without affecting the user. It is complex - only because of the need to know your stuff a little before attempting it, and is actually one of the most basic techniques one must know as an occultist of any path.

What it is used for:
- It can be performed before a ceremony to remove unwanted presences and attention from higher beings and prepare yourself mentally for your ceremony
- After a ceremony to clean up leftover energies and remove unwanted presences and attention from higher beings and return your mental state from ritual-mode to normal
What is required:
- Knowledge of what you are doing (which is written right here)
- A free space to perform this ritual
- Absolutely nothing else

Things to consider:
Performing a banishment after a ceremony such as a summoning ritual is considered rude towards the beings you were attempting to contact. There are other ways of ending ceremonies such as grounding, which much less risky to use when you must always try to come across as non-confrontational. Its purpose is to soak up earthly energy and at the same time discharge unwanted energies - or, at the end of a ritual, to discharge extra energy raised during the ritual.
Diane Vera wrote:One popular method of grounding is to relax and visualize yourself as a tree with roots sinking down into the ground, drawing up energy from the ground and at the same time discharging energy through your leaves. Or, if you prefer not to visualize yourself as a tree, another method is to visualize yourself as having a long tail extending down from the base of your spine into the ground. Another method involves being outdoors and literally touching the ground, visualizing the energy exchange.
Things to consider:
Banishments are highly controversial with regards to what Names you use (more on this in a moment) but you should be alright if you decide to affiliate yourself with a specific group of higher beings for life, asking for their protection during banishment AND associating them in your rituals. Banishments are highly customizable (as are any other forms of magick) with this actually being its problem - you must know a minimum of nine Names of higher beings to call to your aid.

Things to consider:
There are many "established-as-norm" variations of banishing techniques. The best-known banishing ritual is the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram but it is actually inappropriate for use by theistic Satanists and other Occultists because of the God-names and angel names it uses. For detailed information about this and other norm banishing techniques, you can read this page.

For now, I shall carry on and show you a very basic technique that should nonetheless be effective.
What to do:
- Stand in your preferred spot, facing your preferred compass direction. This spot is your Center.
- Visualize a bright light to be shining above your head. This light represents protection, peace, comfort and grace.
- Extend your arm(s) up, palms open, to grasp and take this light.
- Move your arm from above to below, and bring it to your genitals.
- Next, bring the light straight up along your abdomen and chest.
- Bring the light to your right shoulder first.
- Bring the light to your left shoulder next.
- Touch the light to your forehead and then to your heart.
- Visualize the light entering you, and visualize your sigil of choice on your chest (similar to being like a tattoo).
- Leave your Center by moving a step, and at each of the four directions of the compass an equal distance from your Center, draw your sigil of choice in the air in front of you with your index finger.
- Return to your Center and perform the ritual of light one more time.
- End the ceremony by saying a simple conclusion such as "Around me, above me, beside me, behind me, with me are my protectors; in me they find infinity, and I in them."

Things to consider:
As you can see, the above instructions do not include any Names of any higher beings. What you are supposed to do is also speak (or "vibrate", meaning - stretching every syllable) a name for each step you perform in the ritual of light.
Every person has their own inclination towards a specific group of higher beings. For example, a Satanist may choose to compliment his or her ritual of light using the names of the 9: Azazel, Belial, Asmodeus, Astaroth, Baphomet, Leviathan, Samael, Lucifer and Lilith. The sigil of choice is also dependent on this - for Satanists a pentagram is an obvious choice. For others, even your own personal sigil of protection will suffice.
Because of all these possible variations, one should always do their own research and choose their own protectors (or be chosen, as it may be) and insinuate them during Banishment.

Things to consider:
You should note other Banishment techniques while on your search for your guardians. You may see that some of them include accessories such as daggers or wands for drawing sigils in the air.
If you have assistants for this ritual, you will want to establish your own version together for performance.
Once again, mind altering substances are NOT recommended and are MOST likely to cause you to mess up.
And this concludes this short lecture on basic healing and protection.

Remember, the rituals written in this post are simplified and in the most basic form possible so that they are easy for anyone to perform at any time. Many elaborate and detailed techniques exist and depending on your situation you may need to go for them, but for emergencies these are good starting points.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

ultimafool
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: In Emergencies, Rituals & Everything: Cleansing & Banish

Post by ultimafool »

Great stuff, cyberdemon! Never thought of using salt for ritual bathing. Love it. I knew there was a reason why I felt the need to buy that Himalayan salt the other night! Also, well done, clear, easy-to-follow simplification of the LBRP. [thumbup]

An emergency banishing I've used before is to simply imagine a field of energy extending out from my body, surrounding me like a bubble and blasting away "bad guys" in its path like I'm going Super-Sayian. I only use this one if I'm caught completely off-guard or if I'm in public or where it's impractical to physically act out a ritual. Of course even then, after I go Super-Saiyan, I still visualize myself doing a somewhat more "formal yet simplified" banishing in my head.

My fave "formal-yet-simplified" banishing at the moment was inspired by that sweet interface from the Iron Man movies. I visualize the cross, pretty much exactly how you describe it above. Then I draw one pentagram, and I "grab" it by putting my fingers on its center and spin around in a circle and "drop" fully formed pentagrams at the remaining three directions. I make them flash the appropriate color when they drop. This one is performed purely in the imagination/astral because it's kind of hard to do a smooth 360 degree spin IRL.

Lumpino
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Lumpino »

I think that protection is only necessary when you do evocation evil spirits. Before years, when I started with occult path I've done about 10 successful evocations without any protection.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

I understand there are some better forms of cleansing and banishment than this basic ones.
But I am very much interested in your opinion guys. Do you prefer using "pro" banish ritual or you pref to create your unique one?
And what diffrence is there? What experience do you have using old technics and your own new ones? [grin]

I was always this type of person that wanted to do things his way, so I try to think of something unique but I know this older, structured and planned techs are often well designed and work miracles. [thumbup]

Have fun and Praise Teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

hyperion5225
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hyperion5225 »

I find the thing that you truely banish is your minds demons , so I like to use my rituals that call upon my self or parts of my ego. Some times the best banishing is invokeing
hail chaos and have fun

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

I personally prefer the Star Ruby when it comes to banishing. It's also my go to ritual when things get out of hand haha.

If I'm in need of some heavy duty banishing, I like to follow the LBRP with the LBRH, and just cover all of my bases. But other times, if I find myself faced with a pesky spirit of some sort, saying "Apo Pantos Kakodaimonos", from the first gesture of the Star Ruby, is sometimes is all I need to do.

I like the LBRP and the Star Ruby because they do a lot more than just banishing, they also help to ground and centre the magician; and when done daily, do a whole lot more than that. So with the whole pro vs homebrew thing, I generally lean towards pro, but if someone wants to create their own ritual and knows what they are doing, by all means.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

So with the whole pro vs homebrew thing, I generally lean towards pro, but if someone wants to create their own ritual and knows what they are doing, by all means.
I never am sure I know what I am doing. But my heart is telling me yes. [thumbup]

Thank you for replay. Always nice to know perspective of others. [yay]

Praise Teh Sun within a Cloud \[T]/ [cool]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

Just to add a little bit more on the idea of constructing your own ritual.

I actually used to perform my own version of the LBRP. Lol the construction of it wasn't thaaat good honestly, but it worked just as well as the real thing.
These rituals need not be slavishly imitated; on the contrary the student should do nothing the object of which he does not understand; also, if he have any capacity whatever, he will find his own crude rituals more effective than the highly polished ones of other people.
- Aleister Crowley, Liber O
Crowley comes across a little pretentious as always lol, but he has a good point here.

With most rituals, you need to know what each word and gesture represents and why it's constructed the way it is. Writing your own rituals definitely puts you at an advantage there, since you already fully understand why you set it up the way you did, and it's specifically tailored to what you want to accomplish. I often see it suggested that beginners start with using other people's rituals, and once they have a pretty solid understanding of what's going on and the symbol sets used to put them together, they can go ahead and create their own. Personally if a ritual is already written to do what I want to do, and I can get behind the way it's constructed, I'll stick with that; but if I feel like I need something a little different, I'm not afraid to tweak it or write my own.

In a banishing ritual, I think the important bits to have in there are: something designed to center and ground yourself, and something designed to banish or cleanse the space or yourself. Everything else is up to you. Do you feel like you need some sort of invocation to fill a perceived vacuum left by banishing? Do you want to invoke some sort of guardians to protect the space or lend something to the ritual? What sort of things would help you banish and prepare a space more effectively? If you aren't totally sure what you feel like your own ritual needs, there are plenty of examples to study to get some inspiration.

tripkos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tripkos »

It also helps to have your own language. That is; words which carry a type of energy. If your intent is to protect yourself and certain words of power flow coupled with gestures (and imagining or visualising shields) and an extatic rapture (extasy will do the trick here), then that suffices. Old methods also work (like salt has a type of cleansing property), but they're merely a tool to help you develop the intuition and summon your own energies. Having a plan usually leads to poor results. It's sort of like dancing. Improvisation is important.
YORKO MALENO ZINJOYO NURFELDO GARSTAFANO FANO FAAANO FAAAAANO - neriël yukti

findingtruth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by findingtruth »

Hi guys,

So even though I'm not very "new" the the occult, I also quite am - meaning I've been on the very edge of the community for years but have slacked off in my studies and workings.

I'm moving into my first place with my boyfriend and greatly wish to cleanse myself and my new apartment. Since I only just started meditating I see no harm in the cleansing ritual and possibly adding in some Native American techniques as well (i.e. White Sage, Cedar, and Sweetgrass to burn)? Should I stray away from the banishing ritual simply because I hold no affiliation to any specific path yet? (I would actually love to have knowledge and practice a number of paths - is that possible?)

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just really really want things to go smoothly and as I expect.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

findingtruth wrote:Hi guys,

So even though I'm not very "new" the the occult, I also quite am - meaning I've been on the very edge of the community for years but have slacked off in my studies and workings.

I'm moving into my first place with my boyfriend and greatly wish to cleanse myself and my new apartment. Since I only just started meditating I see no harm in the cleansing ritual and possibly adding in some Native American techniques as well (i.e. White Sage, Cedar, and Sweetgrass to burn)? Should I stray away from the banishing ritual simply because I hold no affiliation to any specific path yet? (I would actually love to have knowledge and practice a number of paths - is that possible?)

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just really really want things to go smoothly and as I expect.
Affiliation for paths are not needed, and indeed it is possible to have knowledge of and practice aspects of many different paths in order to amalgamate them into your own personal practice! Myself, I am not partial to nor affiliated with any path, though I'm more of a go at it in my own way kind of guy. [grin]
But yeah, you don't have to be affiliated with any path to do the ritual, and if you feel that using sage and such will be beneficial for you then you can use it [wink] Though I'd read up on the banishing/cleansing rituals which use them first, unless you want to include them much the same way that the incense was mentioned in the OP !
Additional things to consider:
- Burning incense during a cleansing ceremony is a personal choice. If you think it will help you, one could recommend burning sandalwood as it is considered a very pure and strongly amiable scent.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Coffee_and_Burberry
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coffee_and_Burberry »

insomni4c wrote:Just to add a little bit more on the idea of constructing your own ritual.

I actually used to perform my own version of the LBRP. Lol the construction of it wasn't thaaat good honestly, but it worked just as well as the real thing.
These rituals need not be slavishly imitated; on the contrary the student should do nothing the object of which he does not understand; also, if he have any capacity whatever, he will find his own crude rituals more effective than the highly polished ones of other people.
- Aleister Crowley, Liber O
Crowley comes across a little pretentious as always lol, but he has a good point here.

With most rituals, you need to know what each word and gesture represents and why it's constructed the way it is. Writing your own rituals definitely puts you at an advantage there, since you already fully understand why you set it up the way you did, and it's specifically tailored to what you want to accomplish. I often see it suggested that beginners start with using other people's rituals, and once they have a pretty solid understanding of what's going on and the symbol sets used to put them together, they can go ahead and create their own. Personally if a ritual is already written to do what I want to do, and I can get behind the way it's constructed, I'll stick with that; but if I feel like I need something a little different, I'm not afraid to tweak it or write my own.

In a banishing ritual, I think the important bits to have in there are: something designed to center and ground yourself, and something designed to banish or cleanse the space or yourself. Everything else is up to you. Do you feel like you need some sort of invocation to fill a perceived vacuum left by banishing? Do you want to invoke some sort of guardians to protect the space or lend something to the ritual? What sort of things would help you banish and prepare a space more effectively? If you aren't totally sure what you feel like your own ritual needs, there are plenty of examples to study to get some inspiration.
Crowley is as brilliant as he is absurd. And I whole-heartedly agree with that quote. I too use salt, but I'm rather particular about it, and well... everything in general. My perfectionist mentality adds a certain flair to my conjure and I consider it more solid of a driving force for my workings.

[eg]
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning..." A.C. 'BOL'

xxtraminimal
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by xxtraminimal »

i tried, the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram and made a mistake.
i drew the banishng pentagram of earth to the east region.

it was onley a recostruction, i did not use enochian names, angelic names or hebrew language.
i did not use any alchemical sign, or zodiac sign. but drew the circel in the air with rose ecense burning ...

can this harm me ?

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

xxtraminimal wrote:i tried, the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram and made a mistake.
i drew the banishng pentagram of earth to the east region.

it was onley a recostruction, i did not use enochian names, angelic names or hebrew language.
i did not use any alchemical sign, or zodiac sign. but drew the circel in the air with rose ecense burning ...

can this harm me ?
It cannot harm you unless you believe it to have the potential to harm you, therefore it's better to believe that it won't. An alternative to thinking that you've hurt yourself, think that your mistake has only weakened your effort. If you assume that Earth energy flows to you better from a certain direction, by your understanding it should merely be weaker if channeled from somewhere else.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Next
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Next »

In an emergency, all you have to do is get back into your comfort zone (which obviously is not occultism if you perceive any dangers).

In MBTI terms, switch out of your inferior function and into your dominant.

Shake off the false identity you're pursuing and get back to being yourself.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

Next wrote:In an emergency, all you have to do is get back into your comfort zone (which obviously is not occultism if you perceive any dangers).

In MBTI terms, switch out of your inferior function and into your dominant.

Shake off the false identity you're pursuing and get back to being yourself.
The point of cleansing and banishing is to reclaim your space from maligned entities and energies, or even from negativity in general. It is a way to, as you so eloquently put it, get back to your comfort zone.

Also, I'm curious as to why you are always bringing up the Myers-Briggs personality types with that MBTI stuff. It's great that you took some psychology, but personalities, and the psyche in general, is a hell of a lot more complex than just the Myers-Briggs stuff, which is a very incomplete sensationalized testing and should never be used as an insightful measure of a person's personality beyond a generalization outline, if even that. It runs in the same validity of the right/left brain or colour personality.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Gate
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Gate »

You can skip all this if you connect yourself from the heart centre to unmanifest and walk in a higher space than low energy beings. I generally walk with the assumption they don't exist and I just observe the situation i am in without craving or aversion. Everything comes and goes - anicha.

red-rivery
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by red-rivery »

hyperion5225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2015 1:08 am I find the thing that you truely banish is your minds demons , so I like to use my rituals that call upon my self or parts of my ego. Some times the best banishing is invokeing
Invoking my angel and guardians?

Return to “Help!”