Overcoming fear?

When things don't go as planned, crises and unexpected situations.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Overcoming fear?

Post by chowderpope »

I was raised in a fairly Christian household wherein my mother planted the seed of a fear of evil and demons at a young age.

I find now when trying to meditate, I am bothered by a fear that it's possible something nasty may sniff me out and mess with me. It's sometimes like a feeling that something is behind me, and it makes my body temperature rise. This is interfering with my ability to concentrate on the work at hand.

I got some Myrrh incense as I read this is good for purification, but I was wondering what else some of you might recommend as a way to make myself feel more secure and protected? Any mental work I can do, or preliminary protective steps?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Overcoming fear?

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Perfect, thanks! [yay]
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

chowderpope wrote:I was raised in a fairly Christian household wherein my mother planted the seed of a fear of evil and demons at a young age.
Perhaps, there was a reason for this.

I find now when trying to meditate, I am bothered by a fear that it's possible something nasty may sniff me out and mess with me. It's sometimes like a feeling that something is behind me, and it makes my body temperature rise. This is interfering with my ability to concentrate on the work at hand.
It really shouldn't. As a Christian you profess belief in the invisible world. The Nicene Creed clearly states belief in the visible and invisible world for Catholics. These things (beings, spritis, entities, demons, ghosts, etc) are there and busy doing their own thing whether you are aware of them or not. If this is a fear that you have - deal with it and face while you're not in meditation and feeling vulnerable. The truth is - you're vulnerable whether you are aware of it or not. You have been your entire life. Why suddenly be afraid of it because it was brought to your attention?

If there is indeed something there this sounds like pretty standard physical manifestations of the ability to sense these things. People all feel/sense these things differently. You have to learn what the different sensations are telling you. It becomes 2nd nature after a while. You could study it instead of being distracted by it.

I got some Myrrh incense as I read this is good for purification, but I was wondering what else some of you might recommend as a way to make myself feel more secure and protected? Any mental work I can do, or preliminary protective steps?
If memory serves, myrrh also attracts certain spirits/entities. Research is your friend.

There is quite a bit of advice in many of the older threads. If you have some time, you may want to go exploring.

Any advice would be appreciated.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

In the article linked in my signature, I talk about Psychic Discipline and how to develop Fortitude - which is your psychological "stability," your ability to stay calm in the face of fear, sorrow, or any other thought or feeling that pulls you off center. I am also fond of Franz Bardon, and the first few steps of Initiation Into Hermetics. He talks about how to practice Introspection to determine your faults and gaps in your psyche (like this fear), how to map them out to suit the goals of his system, and how to balance yourself out with several methods - including breathing exercises, enchanting your food and drink to fill yourself with the quality you desire to acquire, enchanting the water of your shower to wash off the things you want to get rid of, using things like autosuggestion or self-hypnosis, and even straight up will power. When I was a kid, I conquered my fear of heights by jumping off a roof. Sometimes diving into something head first really is the best way, but everyone is different.

And yeah, frankincense and myrrh (which I burn often) do attract certain energies and spirits. It's been a positive experience for me, which is why I burn them, but you might wanna know a bit about the history of what you're doing before you go much further down the rabbit hole. [wink2]

~:Shin:~

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

Fear disappears when you are confident in what you are doing. So confidence is key here. If you are concerned with evil entities and things or that nature I would suggest focusing on psychic protection. Learn how to put up a shield so that you feel safe in your practice.

I personally recommend Dion Fortune - Psychic Self-Defense as a starting point. It's a bit old but there is some interesting stuffs in there.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Just breathe.

Inhale calm, exhale fear.
Inhale stability, exhale guilt.
Inhale equanimity, exhale self-doubt.

It's simple, but it ain't easy. The goal isn't to make the beasties go away (because they're always around you, both internal and external, whether you acknowledge them or not) but to remain calm in their presence, completely centered within your Self. Just keep breathing, and when you feel the fear, return to your breath.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Beautiful advice, thanks.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Phenix20 wrote:Fear disappears when you are confident in what you are doing. So confidence is key here.
I really have to disagree with that. I'm very confident about my capacity to defend myself against an armed man in a dark ally, but that doesn't make the fear disappear when the moment actually happens.

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the strength to stand up in the face of it and keep going.

~:Shin:~

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

Shinichi wrote:I really have to disagree with that. I'm very confident about my capacity to defend myself against an armed man in a dark ally, but that doesn't make the fear disappear when the moment actually happens.
I make a distinction between the instinct of self-preservation and a possible release of adrenaline facing a grave danger as opposed to a feeling of simply apprehending evil things and being anxious and scared as a result. A lot of such uncecessery fear is due to the fact that the practioner has doubts and lacks confidence in his/her ability for protection by not knowing how to deal approprietly with such matters. By learning how-to, the fear that was disrupting or interfering with in his/her occult practices will be gone if not entirely than at least for the most part. Experience also plays a role.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

I think you should challenge the thing.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Challenging your fear of scary phantasms of the mind, that's a good idea. Challenging negative beings is not a good idea, for reasons that should be obvious.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

That would be silly. You don't challenge them, you lure them in with promise of a virgin sacrifice and when they're​ inside you lock the door and smite them in their kidneys and when they lean back dive in to their throats with your teeth and bite it off and let them bleed out, and throw what's left in to the void for the critters. Fair fight is a myth, nobody does that.

Return to “Help!”