Wasn't "pagan" a derogatory term originally?

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Wasn't "pagan" a derogatory term originally?

Post by Liberator »

Should it be replaced with a term like "polytheism"(If you worship multiple deities), "Follower of (Deity Name)" or "Other" if asked? Since from what I've heard it was originally invented as a derogatory term to refer to other religions as "outsider" kind of religions? In ancient times before Vatican rule and etc they did not call themselves "pagan" and just referred to their personal spirituality that they have discovered by the name of its deity. For example "Cult of Apollo", "Worshipper of Jupiter" and things like that. Hinduism would be considered "pagan" if it wasn't from ancient times and it is polytheistic. This could also symbolically mark the liberation of the worshippers of the other deities outside of the mainstream ones. Good for esteems?

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Wasn't "pagan" a derogatory term originally?

Post by RoseRed »

It's how the church insulted the 'country dwellers' that lived outside of the cities that they controlled.

I claim many derogatory words for my own, like witch, bitch and pagan.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

I thought that was "warlock".
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

That's a craft practicing male oathbreaker.

You should see some male witches freak out if you call them a warlock.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

RoseRed wrote:That's a craft practicing male oathbreaker.

You should see some male witches freak out if you call them a warlock.
Hmm. And I know a few who wear the name proudly.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

EEHC
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EEHC »

Polytheism, Monotheism, Pantheism ect. are theological definitions. It only describes a position on God(s).There isn't a better term in common language than (Neo-)Paganism to refer to people trained in spiritual traditions outside of mainstream religions. ''I am a Pagan'' makes it easier for the masses than attempting to get into specifics (e.g Wiccan, Druidry, Stregheria, Kemetism, eclectism ect ect.)

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Once again, wikipedia summons it up nicely.

"Paganism is a term that developed among the Christian community of southern Europe during late antiquity to describe religions other than their own, Judaism, or Islam, the three Abrahamic religions. Throughout Christendom it continued to be used, typically in a derogatory sense. In the nineteenth century it was re-adopted as a self-descriptor by members of various artistic groups inspired by the ancient world. In the twentieth century it came to be applied as a self-description by practitioners of contemporary pagan, or neo-pagan religious movements.

There has been much scholarly argument as to the origin of the term paganism[1][citation needed]. Paganism has also been understood by some[who?] to include any non-Abrahamic religions, but this is generally[who?] seen as insulting by adherents of those religions. While paganism is often considered to exclude monotheism, and to express a worldview that is pantheistic, polytheistic, or animistic, there are some monotheistic pagans.[2] Once monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Islam started to become more prominent (in processes known as Christianization and Islamization), names to encompass polytheistic worshipers started to develop; some of these include Hellene, pagan, and heathen, and at times these names were used as slurs."

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Liberator »

Desecrated wrote:Once again, wikipedia summons it up nicely.

"Paganism is a term that developed among the Christian community of southern Europe during late antiquity to describe religions other than their own, Judaism, or Islam, the three Abrahamic religions. Throughout Christendom it continued to be used, typically in a derogatory sense. In the nineteenth century it was re-adopted as a self-descriptor by members of various artistic groups inspired by the ancient world. In the twentieth century it came to be applied as a self-description by practitioners of contemporary pagan, or neo-pagan religious movements.

There has been much scholarly argument as to the origin of the term paganism[1][citation needed]. Paganism has also been understood by some[who?] to include any non-Abrahamic religions, but this is generally[who?] seen as insulting by adherents of those religions. While paganism is often considered to exclude monotheism, and to express a worldview that is pantheistic, polytheistic, or animistic, there are some monotheistic pagans.[2] Once monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Islam started to become more prominent (in processes known as Christianization and Islamization), names to encompass polytheistic worshipers started to develop; some of these include Hellene, pagan, and heathen, and at times these names were used as slurs."
Hmm howcome this didn't happen to the other ancient religions like Taoism or Hinduism?

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Spiral, me too, but they're not the majority. Different circles, perhaps?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Liberator wrote:
Hmm howcome this didn't happen to the other ancient religions like Taoism or Hinduism?[/quote]

I don't fully understand the question, can you make it easier to understand?

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Liberator »

Desecrated wrote:
Liberator wrote:
Hmm howcome this didn't happen to the other ancient religions like Taoism or Hinduism?
I don't fully understand the question, can you make it easier to understand?[/quote]They do not get called or labelled "pagan" despite being ancient and polytheistic.

Return to “Religous superstitions, Folk traditions and Lores”