Help me creating ink!

Sculpture, Wood Carving, Outdoor artworks, installations and artistry.

zbrm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Help me creating ink!

Post by zbrm »

I'm trying to make some black ink for my grimoire, and the recipes I found are misleading.
A few recipes say to use vinegar as the base, but that completely destroys the pigment, and it doesn't seem to bind at all.
I've heard of alcohol and water also being used.
I have no gum arabic, and I don't really want to use a binder like that, if at all possible. I'm willing to use some homemade starch if I really need to, but I'd need to make it first.
Since I'm not using a binder, water is too thin to use.
I'm currently using lampblack soot at my pigment, though I'd like to burn down some wood to make charcoal soon.
I made the lampblack by holding a spoon over a candle for about 30 seconds, and then scraping the soot off with a plastic card into a container.
I wasted about two hours on this process by ruining my pigment.
Thank you if you can help me. I've never made inks before, but I want to make my entire grimoire from scratch using all-natural materials, so I need to figure this out.
Sorry for my English isn't that good.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Help me creating ink!

Post by Nahemah »

– When you can’t use Gum Arabic use Glair. Glair is hyperwhipped egg whites that have settled. You can make your own glair as well. There are other potential binders but it seems that Gum Arabic and Glair were the two most preferred binders for ink.
https://scribescribbling.wordpress.com/ ... questions/

I found this on a quick search.

http://artid.com/members/calligraphy/bl ... make-glair
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Nahemah wrote: I found this on a quick search.

http://artid.com/members/calligraphy/bl ... make-glair
I was also going to mention using glair from eggs.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

zbrm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by zbrm »

Thanks, I didn't before hear of glair. I'm not very good with eggs, but I'll try making it. I can't even flip one, I don't think I can seperate one.

What else would be used? Water?
I'm making some ethanol now. Would that be useful in making ink?

How hard it is to process acacia into gum arabic? Can other plants be used for their gums?

Anyone here made inks before?

I'm making everything in my grimoire from scratch. Paper, cover, inks, the pen used to write, all from plant products. The easier way of doing this with few materials is the best. I have no good equipment, mostly my own cookwear and some jars.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

The first link has a list of common questions and answers, I hoped it would be helpful to you.

There are lots of sites online that have advice and information, like this search linked below, I don't make my own inks, so I can't really advise other than this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=makin ... emade+inks
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

zbrm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by zbrm »

Nahemah wrote:The first link has a list of common questions and answers, I hoped it would be helpful to you.

There are lots of sites online that have advice and information, like this search linked below, I don't make my own inks, so I can't really advise other than this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=makin ... emade+inks

You don't need to be rude about it.
I read both of you links with no help. They have a lot of questions, but not much useful. I don't need where people buy their supplies or history or allergies. Thanks for that info though. I don't think you read what you linked.
I have a lot of recipes. I need practical advice. Internet is bad at that.

Also, I know how google uses.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Thanks for that info though. I don't think you read what you linked.

I have a lot of recipes. I need practical advice. Internet is bad at that.

Also, I know how google uses.
I wasn't being rude, I offered a search as it has lots of sites where information is given, not just about commercial availability or recipes, though those are there too. I did give you information about glair that you didn't know, but as I got that from the same internet search I linked for you, perhaps you could have too, that is all.

It is you who has displayed rudeness here, not me.

zbrm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by zbrm »

If can help here, please 'quote' OP so achieve real assistance. Thanks many for added posts.
Let this die now for nothing.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

It's ok zbrm, when I said I hoped the links were helpful, I meant I had thought they would be and I was referencing that I do not know much about the subject.

I directed you to the search I had made, thinking it would be more useful than me just trying to pick out information that I don't know about.

I'm sorry for misunderstandings.

I will go and see if I can find anything helpful, but hopefully other members will know more and posting will pick up again after the holidays.

Return to “Crafts and other Skills”