Who is this Catholic "Saint"? (South America)

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Who is this Catholic "Saint"? (South America)

Post by fraterai »

A year or two ago I watched a documentary (can't remember exactly which) that was about folk magic and Catholic practices all over South America. I don't think it was entirely about black magic but a good chunk of it was. Anyways, I kept seeing this glass novena candle with a Saints picture on the front but I can't find him anywhere, nor could I zoom the documentary well enough to read anything. It was a black and grey photo, he was basically a black cloak and an old, bearded face that looked something like charles darwin. Again I don't know if he is in some way connected to black magic but I think I kept seeing him around the sorcerers who were willing to "go down that road". I am mainly just curious as to who he is at this point, it being so long of me trying to find him. Thanks
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Who is this Catholic "Saint"? (South America)

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá

I believe it's San Benito in spanish, Sao Bento in portuguese or Saint Benedict in english. The creator of the "Vade retro Satana..."

It's not related to black magic, for the contrary, it's a powerful exorist. It's a protection spirit

The thing is that withing sincretism sometimes is equated to certain spirits which might be related to darkness, but never "evil" aqs it is. You have to look in Voodoo or Hoodoo for the relationship Spirit/Saint. For us, macumbeiros of afrobrazilian diaspora, is related to old african spirits, Preto Velhos, which are nothing but good spirits.

Saravá
Idansinají
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

Thank you for the response WDW! It may have been this saint, but for some reason I feel like these candles had actual photographs in black and white (so a more modern saint?) it could have been a painting, and definitely looks close to this saint, but I cant find the exact picture that was being used on the novena candles. It was mainly his face because the rest was so dark (dark or black candle i think), and it was a close up shot of his shoulders and face and beard, with no tools or any other symbols to be seen. I don't think he was hooded.

I am very much familiar with the syncretism and I appreciate you expanding on that part as well! I will keep digging and also keep San Benito in mind, I am very glad to hear about his connections to powerful exorcisms, and at first glance I really like this Saint as well.

I did not think that the saint would be directly related to black magic but perhaps had a single story or something that in some way made him connected to all of these sorcerers. (The exorcism and protection connection is good enough on its own). Again I want to stress that I am not looking for the black magic connection, only pointing out that I kept seeing him at the forefront of the particular workers that were willing to cast black magic spells for their clients. Thanks again so much for the info!

Edit: Okay I'm pretty sure this was him and it was some sort of close up of an old oil painting. Thanks again!!
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

When you said about photos, I immediately thought of Padre Pio, he was not S. American, but he was beloved by many Catholics the world over and many miracles and cures are attributed to him. He was a stigmatic and venerated by ordinary folk, both in life and after.

Link, just in case, but probably not the man you are looking for:
Padre_Pio.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padre_Pio
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá, Nahemah

it could be him, though it's more of a religious person's saint than an occultist/witch's saint around here [tongue]

But yeah, if you think of picture an not un painting, could b him

Saravá
Idansinají
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Return to “Angelic Arts”